Saturday 16 January 2016

Moth and the Rainforest

Moth collective continue to be the coolest animation company I've discovered this academic year. Not only do they create lovely animations for the New York Times Modern Love Coloumn (something I devour every Thursday when there's a new essay to read), but they also work for various good causes and charitable foundations. Their latest is about the environment. How very apt considering the RSA brief I've just picked up.
It's not really a coincidence though, as artists have been drawn to social commentary and issues ad infinitum, and climate change is the one of the bigguns. As social issues go, you can't get more globally valid than our poor, sick earth needing a major dose of calpol to lower it's temperature.
While I wasn't so keen on this digital style at first in other animations they've produced, I've grown to appreciate more and more the nods to screen print style. I love the quick image cycle in the middle of this animation that shows the production line and products; it really gives the message a bit more energy and oomph! I'm not so sure about the texture on top though, I think it looks a bit too 'placed' at the end of the animation. Maybe a bit more subtlty in that area, or perhaps no texture at all as the printed feel holds true without it.
The sound design for this is wonderful though. The message is clear and the voice actor does a great job. I like the rainforest sounds at the end too, they don't sound like soundbites taken from samples (even if they might be) because they are layered up so naturally.
As always, good jaaaab Moth!

You can watch the full video here! > https://vimeo.com/147451691

Also, I love the CNN gifs they've been making and posting on their blog of the biggest stories of 2015. Keeping up with social goings on there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment