Wednesday 27 January 2016

Dancing, shapes, marks and colour - Carnival

Loose watercolour and pen sketches for dance motion.
For this music video project I'm helping out with, myself and the art director are focusing a lot on colour and movement, line and texture. Thanks to my tutors at MMU I've managed to get some 16mm film and access to a projector so we'll be making and filming some cool abstract 16mm footage for the backgrounds. This stuff is effortlessly beautiful and all you have to do is draw onto and scratch into the film itself to create abstract film that has a gorgeous grainy, flickery effect to it. It's something that you could never recreate in a digital medium, and it's much more fun to play around with real film anyway!

I'll be rotoscoping some tribal style dancing for this video too, in a really loose, painterly style and so I've been looking at 'Carnival' by RCA graduate Susan Young, which was made in 1985, and captures dancing figures with very minimal mark-making and strong coloured lines. I think this is the way we'll go, trying to abstract the figures as much as possible, and just capture the movement. I love the way Antony approaches a film like this, because he combines a narrative/figurative element with more fun, abstract and experimental filming/animation. It's really inspired the way I think about narrative structure in my own work.
This is all feeding into my designs for the Claire House Hospice animation too, giving me ideas for abstraction and characters before I know the narrative elements.






Carnival - Susan Young


Abstract pattern designs for Claire House

Character designs for Claire House animation - inspired by the work I'm doing with Antony.

Abstract pattern designs for Claire House Project

No comments:

Post a Comment