Saturday 28 November 2015

Experiments with doodles

I've been learning all about how children's drawings develop recently; reading a book called Artful Scribbles which examines the process and psychology associated with it. I'm currently animating the progression using a single, continuous line style that morphs from a squiggle to meandering lines, to a circle etc. I love the shapes and lines more and more now, they're like the basic building blocks for all drawings. I've been trying to find ways to combine them into my animation as an added layer of texture/interest/symbolism. 

I attempted a couple of combinations of figures and patterns, using the claire house color scheme (although I think these hues are just a bit too vibrant, and I'll lean towards a more pastel scheme for the animation itself). This is one of them (plus a close-up), which I thought could maybe hint at the worry/stress experienced by the parents after a child is diagnosed. I thought using the child's own squiggles and visual language was an interesting and alternative way to this, rather than necessarily relying on facial expressions all the time. These were done in gouache paints and black fineliner pen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment