Friday 2 May 2014

Ishu Patel

After telling my friend Cat about my film ideas, she recommended that I look at Ishu Patel's animations. Patel is originally from India, but has taken his work across the world with the National Film Board. His animation Perspectrum was of particular interest to me as it used a soundtrack that I think will be quite similar to what I'll be using for my mandala film. It was also very abstract and used only simple shapes but the movement links so well with the music that it is beautifully entrancing. I think this has highlighted for me that the film doesn't necessarily need to have an obvious theme, it an just be about the joy of patterns, colour and balance.
Patel's other animations, Afterlife, The Bead Game and Paradise are lovely too because they really abuse the freedom animators have in creating an entirely new world where anything can happen. In The Bead Game and Afterlife, Patel merges characters and shapes into new ones in the blink of an eye, or dissolves them into a mass of colour before transforming them again. He works seamlessly between the shapes, like clay being remodelled. I love the way he merges between different colours as well, using a chromatic spectrum it seems. Part of me wishes that I had not worked on white paper for my peg bar animation as Patel's use of colour against a black background seems to make them look like they glow like coloured lights and therefore the background could be anything if it wasn't in darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment