Friday 14 March 2014

Trip to Yorkshire Sculpture Park

For the start of Unit X, our tutors organised a trip to Yorkshire Sculpture Park. We were encouraged to wander around the park and create a 2 minute film following the Dogme 95 manifesto, which followed the life of a member of our team. The rules basically comprise to create a very rough-looking film, as you are not allowed to use any special filters, effects, sound or props (unless already in the film or found on site). It all contributes to give the film the look of a home video.
 
Seeing as none of us were actors, we decided that a simplistic approach to the film (complimenting the basic rules) was the best way to go. We filmed one of our group walking through the scenery of the park and edited it later on iMovie to show her travels through the entire park in just 2 minutes.
 
I think this kind of film work is better when you are learning about camera angles/acting skills, as it takes you back to the basics of filming, so you can't rely on computer trickery to make it look good later. Although it gets you to think outside the box a bit as a film-maker by putting obstacles in your path, I'm not sure I'd like to be so strict with myself again. For one thing, I like a good soundtrack, and I think that is what's lacking in Dogme 95 films for me.
 
I loved the sculpture park though, having never visited it before, and took some photos of the art and my friends messing around, enjoying the fresh air. My favourite piece in the park was a screen erected on the edge of a large field, which showed a continous gif of a horse running. This reminded me of Edward Muybridge, whose work I researched when I was creating my own gif of a rabbit running. The idea of having animations outside in the middle of park had never occurred to me, and I am always interested in new ways film is being used as it will hopefully give me more avenues to follow once I graduate. The artwork is titled 'Galloping Horse' and was created by artist Julian Opie; it traces the park's history back to a time when there were once horses stabled there, and I think it adds some interest amongst the static sculptures.



No comments:

Post a Comment