Friday 28 March 2014

Origami Mischeif

As I've been thinking about maths in art and the power of geometry and symmetry, a leap into the world of origami didn't seem that far a stretch. Some origami patterns share similar characteristics to mandalas; focusing around a central point, layering of shapes, symmetrical composition etc. Most people know how to make a simple origami fortune teller (a lost skill from their school days) so I thought it would be a nice little exercise to make an animation of the making of one. It was also a quick way for me to sample the new Zeitrapher app on the Macs in the animation studio. 
It's not the neatest animation as I only took photographs using my phone and did not use a tripod to keep the camera steady, but it's a jumping off point for future films. A discussion with my tutor led to the idea of using   green screen technology so the paper could be manipulated on screen without seeing my hands. This could also allow me to put further animation into the background perhaps. These little clips of origami manufacture could also be adapted by putting a kaleidoscope effect on the film to create a mandala-like image of origami structures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment