Thursday 26 May 2016

The joy of handmade things

For my final degree show and professional portfolio, I wanted a way of representing animations that wasn't on screen and wasn't stills... the solution was to go back to some old school animation practices and make a collection of flipbooks.
I chose sections of my animations which I thought would transfer well into a handheld, teeny tiny format and would display enough action in very few frames. I think action needs to be clearer in flipbooks sometimes because they only last a couple of seconds. From here, I went to Adobe Photoshop and made contact sheets out of the film frames so they were all the same size and aligned. With printing boundaries this needed to be checked though and edges realigned and evened up using a guillotine. Once printed, chopped and layered up in order they just needed binding together. I chose a simple Japanese binding using thread which matched my colour scheme.
For the degree show, I'd like to have a hanging forest of flipbooks for people to play with. My interests this year have been all around how animation can bridge gaps with people ,and the tactile nature of the flipbooks is something that really captures this idea because they require the audience to engage with the work.
My portfolio needed to be a box to keep these little handheld animations safe, but the archival box I bought didn't have a pocket so they were rattling around with my prints (not ideal or v. professional). I created a little pouch for them from cardboard bound in bookcloth, but they still fell out sometimes. To stop this I had to create little elastic, button-bound seatbelts for them so they don't get tossed about during transit.







No comments:

Post a Comment