Thursday 26 May 2016

Soundscapes

As this film was being made for a more professional setting for a charity rather than just as a uni project, I wanted everything to be as clean and high quality as possible. With this in mind I planned months ago to collaborate with a musician from my local area who knew the charity well and had worked with me on previous professional projects (The Reedy Boy), to guarantee a high level of quality on the sound. I think knowing your strengths and weaknesses, and when to collaborate, and who with are important parts of becoming a freelance professional.
During my research and design stages for the film I've been in close contact with Jay, the musician, so he is completely aware of the path the project has taken. I helped convey the mood and genre of music I wanted by showing him the animations that had inspired me and examples of other charity adverts, and together we decided that a minimal melody with small low-level sound effects like birds tweeting and children's voices in the park would be best to allow the speech to have centre-stage. We then worked together by sending rough edits of music and film back and forth with extra ideas and tweaks. By showing him examples early on of the animation coming together and the type of line work, texture, colour schemes and imagery I was using, he got a clear idea of the tone we were after in the music and there were very few alterations needed to make the two match.

No comments:

Post a Comment