Saturday 10 October 2015

Modern Love

The New York Times started a column based on essays of examples of modern love several years ago and it has been a roaring success across the world. The stories themselves are hand-picked from a HUGE influx every week (apparently it is a lot harder to write a 'good' story about love than you would think) and are then published, often accompanied by some gloriously simple and sensitive illustrations by Brian Rea and other talented illustrators. Occasionally the stories are beautifully cinematic enough to be made into an animation. MOTH collective, the wonderful animators behind Sarah's Story for the NSPCC (previously posted about on here) are responsible for some of them. Again, it's gorgeous work, celebrating the human condition and finding love in the modern age. 

A Millennial's guide to kissing

How a kitten eased my partner's depression

Taking a break for friendship


I've included this as part of my research, partly because I adore Brian Rea's simplistic and witty style of drawing; something that is inspiring me for my animation characterisation and compositions. (Someone needs to collab with him, because his doodles are simply crying to come to life as a cute, witty animation... or maybe I just want everything to move!) The parred back colour schemes and textures are definitely things that I am starting to use in my own work and loving, but Brian's work is very subtly textured which gives it a tactile, real quality without being overpowering.

I also think that this caught my attention because of the massive popularity of the column. It clearly speaks to people on a personal level and provides comfort. Sharing stories seems to still be the way that we grow closer to each other, and sharing stories of heartache and love discovered, found or prevailing is something that crosses generations and cultures. This is reiterating that I need to focus on the personal stories of Claire House when I make an animation for them, because facts and figures mean very little to people, but generating an empathetic response can work wonders!

No comments:

Post a Comment