Thursday 26 March 2015

Shadows

When I made my wee green man and photographed him, I found that I preferred his shadow to using him as he is. His shadow seemed so much more magical and transient, which suits the fairy legend and their elusiveness. I think I also liked it because it then harks back to folk traditions of papercutting and shadow puppetry, which is probably how these stories would have been interpreted when they were part of an oral tradition of story-telling.
Whilst some details are lost in these shadow images, others are highlighted. His antennae and sprouting limbs are much more obvious in the shadow than in reality, but his features are lost which I think is useful because I didn't want my fairies to be too human-like and identifiable.
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment